Night of Dinner & Games
Had some canapes and mulled wine as some pre-dinner snacks, then chose the and parsnip/ginger and orange soup over the sweet potato soup. The main course was then served - turkey pie with a generous helping of mashed potato and boiled beans on the side. Of course, with stuffing and the little sausages, and two brussels sprouts. They also wrapped bacon around dates and roasted them together with the stuffing - this was a very nice combination!
I also brought rose wine there, which I had received from Cathy. This was surprisingly sweet and fruity! Banrock Station. I will keep it in mind next time I shop for a nice wine.....
After taking a long time over my food (but i did finish them! Only Steve did as well..) we proceede to play Black Mariah (?) which was very similar to Hearts. Well, learn rather than play. Chris and I were taught the ropes while Eefu got occupied with the rubiks cube which I had unsuccessfully tried before dinner. The difference this time was that he had the solution sheet in front of him.
I was the first to hit 500 points and duly lost Black Mariah. After a break watching Match of the Day on tv it was Steve's turn to adjourn to the sofa with the rubiks cube and Eefu, Leanne, Chris and I gathered at the table for some scrabble. I have always liked word games and was thrilled to be able to play, as I rarely get the chance to play.
I got the early lead with some canny use of double-word squares, and affirmed my position midway through the game with a 52-pointer, adding 'QUOTE' to 'D', with the 'Q' on double-points. I finished with 177 points (lost one point in the end having played the 'P' on 'PLIED' leaving the 'N' on my rack), and insodoing beat the Cambridge masters graduate, the Edinburgh graduate and the Portsmouth graduate. Muahaha. I also had words I thought were all right overruled by the rest - all of which were legal when I verified the words at home (GAB, INS, I also found out CRAP was legal!). But I also thought Chris' REPILE was dodgy but accceptable, when the scrabble word checker revealed that it was not. He did, for our benefit, change his word to a lower-scoring RETILE.
Then we proceeded to play a few rounds of tai-ti (big 2) while I completed a personal game of scrabble, scoring 491 points. Used shorter words since my attention was split playing tai-ti, plus time was of the essense. All my words were 5 letters or below. Compare this with our longest word in the preceding game - ALIENATE.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home