- the 100% woodfire-roasted cheezandwich -

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

UK Elections

So there's been a lot of buzz about the result of the UK elections.

The word on everyone's lips is "hung parliament". I just do not fancy that phrase. What the heck... It's like they will hang all the politicians... like the zero on a roulette wheel, where the house always wins. Then again, maybe we should have a "hung" parliament in Malaysia...

So, can Labour "ad-LIB"? Or are we CON-DEMned?

The Lib Dems are, as I expected, the kingmakers this time. And they are playing their part very well already, having spoken with both the Conservatives and Labour on a possible coalition government. If there is no deal with the Tories, I believe they will make one with Labour, because it won't serve them any good if they give up their first real chance in decades to participate in government. And Nick Clegg can maybe become deputy PM too! I personally prefer a Lib-Lab pact and Gordon Brown's announced intent of resignation today has turned things slightly in favour of Labour. However we must be mindful that a LibLab coalition does not, in itself, command a majority in the House and it would be imperative for the support of the nationalist parties in Wales and Scotland to be sought in a "unity" government.

Watch this space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home