- the 100% woodfire-roasted cheezandwich -

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Why blog?

Something I wanted to blog for a long time but due to various reasons hadn't...

Blog... shortened from the word "weblog". Refers a diary (or sometimes just a homepage) by a user who wishes to publish something on the World Wide Web, not necessarily for others to see. But he runs the risk anyhow.

1) To inform
i others of his/her existence
"Hey! Here I am! And this is my profile. Heh. As if anyone reads."
ii others of his/her goings-on
Okay folks, in case you are not updated on my life, here’s a minute-by-minute, day-by-day account of what I’ve been up to. And then there’ll be no excuse for you next time not to know, or to ask me “so what’s you been up to?”
2) To comment
i gives personal views
This may be a little touchy-feely. Could be highly personal views, some political, some human-resource-based, some situational, some completely bollocksy. Maybe histrionic, anti-everyone and egotistical, whatever. Personal opinion. Chances are, if you don’t like it, don’t read it. In most cases, it’s not the author’s loss anyway. So don’t complain.
ii complain
Addressing a particular topic in which the author may have felt maligned or unfairly treated in whichever case, and decided to vent his/her frustrations, not necessarily to no avail. Also to share his/her emotions and feelings with whoever cares to listenread.
iii question a topic
Something controversial. Something murky. Something fishy. A conspiracy theory! Why did the chicken cross the road?
3) To promote (or demote)
i an event
Football this Sunday at 2.30pm, Victoria Park at the grass patch near the Engineering Building. 不见不散。
ii issues of self-interest
“I will be (delete as appropriate) attending a quiz/awarded a certificate/playing an important match this coming (insert date) and your presence will be highly appreciated.”
“I think the new Adidas Climacool sneakers are great. Not only does it feel as cool and dry as the arctic wind, it actually allows your toes to freeze too! The fastest performer when tested against similar ranges from competitors. Highly recommended!”
(“Constantine sucks. Enough said.”)*
iii a case in question
“This issue about the credibility of Tony Blair should be taken up by students and non-students alike. His comments about the top-up-fees and invasion of Iraq are contentious and he should be probed further on that” (sth Michael Howard would say?)
4) To malign (though sometimes it may be true!)
i an organisation (best read with a pinch of salt… or sugar. Flavour to taste.)
“Coca Cola sucks**. That time I tried to clean my toilet bowl by scrubbing it with CherryCoke, my white ceramic bowl became pink in colour! I won’t buy any products from them again!”
ii targeted individuals (could be true!)
This XYZ guy is damn faking irritating and he is always faking things. Everything he says is a lie, and he only interacts with you skin-deep. You gotta be careful: he has no sincerity at all….
5) To self-improve
i in writing, including 记叙文,议论文or散文
The user seeks to improve his/her level of written English (or any other language) hopefully by making use of it on a formal and regular basis. Also styles like report-writing, biographies, chronological references, argumentative etc can be practised.
ii in using html and/or web-based technologies
These include the changing of templates, the inclusion of additional tools like chatboxes, calendars, clocks, picture-hosting, irritating pop-ups and all the 东东。
6) To make/interact with (new) friends
i know all the blogrings?
One whole chain of linked sites. Could be useful if they are informative!
“Hi, I’m so-and-so. The picture on your site is gorgeous. Care to link me?” (Oh, that’s so passé..)
Commenting on one another’s blogs, writing activities that are inter-related…..
7) To succumb to peer pressure
Due to “everyone having one”, she/he ought to get one too.
8) To show off
some random user using some run-of-the-mill html templates and trying to pass it off as something extraordinary and getting all egoistic over his/her site. Ugh….
9) To pass time***
Time…. Goes by…… so slowly…………… (Melody: Unchained)

* I didn’t watch it. All major newspapers and commentaries agreed on this one thing, though.
** I think it’s more like, Coca Cola bubbles.
***jiak pah bo si zor 吃饱没事做

3 Comments:

  • did want to tell long time before.......

    what the hell have u done recently, mr. koh???

    ---------------------------------
    Popular searches in my network
    蔡少芬裸照
    林志玲走光
    MAZDA RX-9
    Chee-Seng, Koh
    free video(sex)
    astrology readings
    free japan av movie
    老师做爱
    cute japanese ladies
    妹妹做愛

    By Blogger Joe Gillis, at 10:52 pm  

  • heyheyhey..... whoa... not me, man... I am as innocent as you are... especially now that i am sooo busy I obviously dun have time to surf rubbish!

    By Blogger cheez~, at 5:10 pm  

  • Hey, hey hey ,Sweets!!!
    Cheez, I am still having exams and pining over SOMETHING!!! Call me for more details :P

    Love,
    Khairunie

    By Blogger Khπirunie, at 4:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home