My first time
But it lasted a mere 2 minutes!
Polling Station No 47.
I walked in. Following the signs which spelled out "POLLING STATION" in bold, we ventured past the corner of the block and into a corridor. This was a Leicester City Council building in Knighton Fields.
The way they do things here is a little weird. No identification is necessary, although bringing that election notice does speed up processes a little. You utter your address and name to them, they cross-check it against their list, and hey presto! You are presented with the white slip of paper, full of expectations. Okay, not expectations but candidates' names. If you are not happy with their faces, you can always refer to the board in front of the polling station listing their addresses and pay them a visit in the wee hours of the night yourself. Remember to bring your decapitated pig head and axe.
You make a large 'X' in the box which corresponds to the candidate whom you are voting for. You might also want to exercise your vote by not voting, but too bad: they don't have 'RON' (re-open nominations). I remember years ago, while watching an advertisement on SBC (the former TCS)* educating the public how they should make their vote, the cross filled the entire screen, and I was wondering if they asked us to cross an entire blank sheet. As a young boy, I thought maybe the candidate's name was written somewehere else! What a large cross... Some time later I found out they had magnified the cross so that they don't show any candidates' names (I still think they should have come up with fictitious names to better illustrate their point).
My first time. Voting! Thousands of miles away, in a foreign land, I was given the power to vote. The POWER to vote! MuaHAhaha.... One vote in an almost 4000 majority. Leicester South was won by Peter Soulsby, of Labour. And so Tony Blair has led Labour to a historic 3rd consecutive term. I watched him live giving his speech in front of No.10, a rather weak but engaging-the-public effort in which he highlighted the main issue he wished to accomplish in a "more experienced, and committed" government. We shall see....
Last night's Dead Ringers Election 2005 on BBC2 was freaking funny. They made fun of politicians, personalities, tv stations, even themselves. Celebrity lookalikes were impersonating the top 3 in British politics to hilarious (but sometimes vulgar) effect. British humour is still one of the best. I shall catch the second part next week.
* Singapore Broadcasting Company; Television Corporation of Singapore


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home