- the 100% woodfire-roasted cheezandwich -

Saturday, July 12, 2008

the calling of maisy day

I went to watch The Calling of Maisy Day yesterday with Hui.

It was the first opera I'd ever watched, and it was performed by the Welsh National Youth Opera. We were sat almost right at the front (2nd row), with the performers screaming in our faces. Everything about it was surreal, from their gothic makeup and costumes, the lighting, the music, even the outfits worn by the young band perched atop the stage.

My summary of the difference between a musical and an opera:
A musical chains (hopefully) melodic pieces of music together.
An opera strings unrelated bits of music together, however jarring on the ear...
but it was still rather nice and I will go back next time... maybe for The Marriage of Figaro.
And I liked the "air stewardess" who I felt looked a bit like one of Wales' favourite daughters - Catherine Zeta Jones.

Animated and active, I think they did keep the audience enthralled. I didn't fall asleep even though I had a tiring day at work. And these were people my age!! Very professionally acted, I think they have a lot of potential. And somehow I don't think we have something as accomplished as this back home...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home