- the 100% woodfire-roasted cheezandwich -

Thursday, June 24, 2004

Day 2: Onwards to Glasgow

Wednesday 16th June

It was a day of rushing again as we got up at six in the morning and checked out and then checked into our next hostel in the morning. We boarded the bus to Glasgow just minutes before it left. The return bus ticket cost us only two pounds, so it was really worth it.

Tracy was feeling bold and she decided to pull on a sleeveless blouse and a short skirt. And a rather thin jacket.

On arrival in at Glasgow I was met by my friend, Kenneth, who would take us on a tour of Glasgow and such. As we passed the Buchanan Galleries, an impressive multi-complexed shopping area, it started to rain and I had to pass Tracy my trusty jacket. Trusty because it is not too thick (I hate thick jackets as they are too stuffy), but just warm enough, and if I get colder I can always zip up. First up was some hot chocolate at a coffee house after we alighted from the tube and then it was onwards to the University of Glasgow, one of the oldest universities UK. It contained a good mix of old and new buildings and some of the most impressive ones were large and imposing and provided a few photo moments. The museum within was also well worth another visit. However, the hot choc I had drunk earlier kinda upset my stomach and I had a chance to see how user-friendly the toilets at their newest complex (the medical building) were. Not bad. Hurhur…

After trying out fried Mars bars (only in Scotland), Irn-Bru (pronounced iron brew, Scotland’s national soft drink which can stain clothes as well) and a lunch at some pub in which Joe was undercharged for his meal (thanks to them not having any haggis available), we headed for an open-top bus tour of the city. One conniving tour operator offered us a cheaper rate (5 quid pax) so that we would travel on his bus. But we would have done so anyway cos his bus was nicer-looking. Ha.

We only had time for one stop along the way (if we had more time we could get off at any stop and hop onto the next tour bus), and we took off at the first stop for Joe to relieve himself, and subsequently some pictures at the cathedral.

It turned out that the afternoon had become increasingly windy and later it started raining too, only for a while, but that was after we decided to move into the covered part of the double-decker bus. You have to admire Tracy for her guts (or the lack of). Here she was in a short skirt and the wind was so cold I was covering myself with her thin jacket (mine’s still on/with her). Huah! And she had to ask if I needed my jacket back… wah lau then what would she become? Frozen meat?

Anyway, we got off after a very fulfilling sleep… no, tour, of the Glaswegian highlights. And we wandered back to the Buchanan Galleries for her to do some shopping while Joe and I did some more "sightseeing" at the shopping malls. Joe noted (rather accurately, I think, but disputed -of course- by Kenneth) that there were no leng luis* in Scotland. Maybe it was because of Joe. Or maybe it’s Maybelline.

Another dinner, this time at a pasta place called Antipasti. Quite good, but a tad too salty. As we still had some time, we lounged at Square (a chain of pubs in UK) and I had some Scotch Whiskey. Then off we went to catch our bus back to Edinburgh.

Back at our hostel, we finally realised how far our 15 pounds went. It was, though a little small, an immaculate room with good artwork. The room was called the "Matrix Room", and my bed assigned was Trinity! But we could always change to Morpheus or Neo. After bathing, we had wanted to go out for a drink or a walk or just bum around, but Joe had slept. I was contemplating waking him up when it started to rain rather heavily and that put paid to our hopes. So we were once again stuck with chatting and falling asleep.

*chio bus. Fit birds. Otherwise known as pretty girls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home