- the 100% woodfire-roasted cheezandwich -

Sunday, September 05, 2004

Siam and 'siam'-ing work

Oh well. Council outing got cancelled so I suddenly had a free day on my hands. Didn’t manage to get a single soul out, not even Andy to play pool. So I ended up clearing my things and looking through some treasured stuff of the past. The western dance pictures (esp those taken with Grace) made me remember the days I practised and practised for hours and even getting into trouble for seemingly skipping too many Council meetings. And then there were the Odyssey of the Mind photos. What a time we had in Washington DC, 3 months before the planes would descend on the two famous towers. Feels kinda weird still, just like then. The days passed carefree, and I still think the unity among us had more to be desired. Those shadowy tantrums and occasional high-strung attitude only made things difficult for this poor leader here. And I should have tried my hands at making one structure completely by myself. That’s one thing I surely regret not having done. I will never know if I could have managed to help the team attain a more respectable outing in the World Finals, when our structure unexpectedly crashed with less weight taken than we could ever have imagined. So near yet so far. So very far.

Yesterday we went to Siam Kitchen and my dad and I had the 2-for-1 set meal. Itz been a long time since I have eaten green curry and some decent Thai food. I especially loved the mango and prawn “appetiser” dish. It is part of the main course, but I don’t quite regard it as one. Mum had some fish slices with tang hoon. There were also tom yam soup, a chicken dish (like stir-fried minced meat), prawn cake (as opposed to fish cake), and vegetables fried with mushrooms, which happened to be the only dish not to contain the trademark Thai spiciness or sourness. And rather fulfilling pineapple rice too. Dessert was “red ruby” (actually water chestnut pieces coated with a red starch) and jackfruit ice with santan topping. Sinful and filling. After that I was really really full. Hadn’t felt like that since that day in UK when I had this buffet at Terra Cotta.

I reckon I’ll stop my volunteer work this Thursday. Friday I’ll be playing badminton and I want to leave next week free to tie up loose ends and also have some time for myself to do a bit of stuff I haven’t been able to do lately. Like clearing my table. Heh. I found out that Aaron will be flying back with me. Well now there’s someone to jaga* my barang-barang** when I need to go to the toilet.

* look after
** things

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home