- the 100% woodfire-roasted cheezandwich -

Monday, February 20, 2006

Manchester

A lot has passed since my previous post, so I shall have to summarise again. I hired a car and went to Altar Stones, a small geologically-interesting outcrop near the M1 in the highland-starved Midlands, then Fosse Park Shopping Centre, before heading back for the Chinese New Year Ball. The food was actually quite nice (I am wondering where they ordered the fried rice from) and it felt better organised than last year. There was clubbing at Elements after that and I had 2 cocktails. The next morning was the trip to Middleton (Manchester) then to the city, and later Trafford Centre. Unfortunately Deng Hui was sick and couldn't make it but my excellent co-driver Roger and Raymond became passengers.

The Ford KA, despite its lack of space (from the outside), lack of engine temperature indicator, lack of tachometer, lack of central locking, and lack of power windows (that's new!) was actually quite runnable (1.3L engine I heard). We reached Middleton at around 10.30am and I collected my printer/scanner/All-in-One machine. Then off we went to Chinatown in pursuit of a buffet lunch (quite a lot to choose from) and we settled for one called "International Buffet". As we were quite early we almost had the platter of roast duck (yum yum!) and roast pork (char siew) to ourselves! But the chicken was not too great... Overall I found the standard of the buffet good, except for the lack of prawns or other seafood, and good dessert. Chinese tea was quite expensive too, at 1.20 per head.

Short notice before I forget--please go to http://kevan.org/johari?name=Chee+Seng and tell me about my personality. Thanks!!!

After lunch was a walk around the city centre, but time was scarce and we headed off to Trafford Centre soon after. Traffic was bad and what was supposed to be a 30min drive took almost an hour and a half. Thus we didn't have a lot of time to wander about the massive shopping centre (and much less fathom a visit to Old Trafford) but still it was a nice trip.

My scanner works fine, printer has almost full ink. And it cost me 2 quid.

1 Comments:

  • Most of the food, including fried rice, came from Peking Restaurant!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home