- the 100% woodfire-roasted cheezandwich -

Sunday, April 16, 2006

LCD TV

This one came from my dad.

The 29-inch Goldstar tv at home finally decided to give up on my parents so my dad went off to get a new one...

Apparently there was a special deal for an LCD TV (but 26 inch) which was almost 500 bucks cheaper! Only (potential) catch was that it was AMOI (China brand).

And I quote: "As an engineer, I always like to try new brands, esp if it is cheap."

Channel-changing was a bit slow but acceptable. However the teletext was crap. Nothing loaded.

The Amoi agent insisted it was normal, saying if you pressed the same number 3 times it would load, but it didn't. Even if it did, pressing 9 times for a stupid page to load is nonsensical!
Well they did change a new TV set for him, but it seems the problem prevailed.

When my dad insisted on a full refund, the Sales dept wanted to charge him a cancellation fee ($50) which was ridiculous! After my dad complained straight to the top they gave it in full though...

My reply to his email:
Perhaps u can try inputting hanyu pinyin and the teletext will work. Or if you need to find a new tv, why not pop by Sim Lim Square* to check out the deals? They've got lots of brands there, including Amconics**!


* a complex full of shops selling electronic equipment
** another China brand (whoops!)

5 Comments:

  • now that sucked dude! lucky we haven't tried amoi OR amconics for that matter, but stuck with good old toshiba, lousy bass sounds but better than non working accompanying software!

    but i tried akira consumer electronics their discman is reasonably good, and i think it's singaporean brand. so now ur house is still without TV huh? how's yr mom gonna tahan not being able to watch her cantonese shows?? bleah!

    By Blogger Dee, at 4:16 pm  

  • Where got cantonese shows? All came to Smallpore and became Chinese-dubbed... And yes akira is Smallporean; they chose to call it like the Japanese to glean some of its superior image.. I have their "cheap" 2300mAh rechargeable batteries. Sucked. Charger cannot even charge them properly!

    By Blogger cheez~, at 7:05 pm  

  • battery dependent on your luck wor. i bought sanyo 2300mAh for digicam it didn't last the 1000 cycles as claimed. since June 2004 till now not even 730 days and i don't use it everyday =c

    you're right, dubbed into mandarin. your mom said she USED to learn cantonese watching the malaysian channel.

    By Blogger Dee, at 3:37 pm  

  • I wasn't even talking 10 cycles! Utter rubbish I tell you, Akira... When I come back I will go kira with them how many times it worked...

    And I think my mum's Cantonese is already very 'geng chao', except maybe just to learn the newest lingo of hk canto =P

    By Blogger cheez~, at 5:20 pm  

  • "劲抽" wor, i'm sure if she lai-key (like) she can rent some TVB o既戏o黎睇
    下o家 ^^

    By Blogger Dee, at 4:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home