- the 100% woodfire-roasted cheezandwich -

Sunday, November 18, 2007

news of the day: phonebox direct goes under

"Merchandising" first... Check this out:
www.freerice.com
Great site. Great idea. Great for charity. Great for learning.
------------- ------------- --------------

I had great plans for the weekend, as I always do.

Saturday was for Noelle's birthday/farewell party, and Sunday was for badminton@talybont (part of the university). Met a few nice people - would be good for my circle in Cardiff.. Sadly for her Noelle had one more Sambuca than she ought to and was feeling sick. A few of us stayed till closing time (Oceana) before escorting her out. It was a bleak night - wind and rain was lashing down upon us but luckily one of her friends had a car and we managed to find a partly-sheltered place to wait while he drove round.

As it happened dear noelle wanted some food ("kebab therapy") and off we went to City Road for some Aladdin. Unfortunately while waiting at the table for the food she puked for the 3rd time that night (or so she says) and almost immediately after was enjoying chicken doner kebab with us. She did look sick but mentally I think she did better than most others would being in a similar state as her. She is one of the more successful people I have known around here - probably explains why her mind would still be clear despite the alcohol.

I learnt something today.
Next time you have kebab, try asking for it with lemon and garlic sauce. It's refreshing.

However I missed going for badminton today due primarily to time pressures (actually I got up too late). But also because of a lack of interest from the other people. If I had been more at ease with the scene here I would have gone alone but being a newcomer I decided I'd wait till next week. In any case as things turned out I caught Ling online instead and it was really great to catch up with things again. We never seem to be able to finish our conversations but I guess it's a good thing - leaves much to talk about next time (which could be in weeks).

Finally, for all those looking at getting cashback mobile phone deals, please note that a dealer I previously recommended, Phonebox Direct (parent Mobile Affiliates), has recently gone into administration. So it appears anyone still with outstanding claims from them for cashback would lose that. Personally I have 4 more claims on a contract with them - will try to see if I can get the network to step in although they are legally not bound to, despite them benefiting directly from the actions of their now-defunct agents.
As I have said previously, if you need to get cashback deals, 1) make sure you are satisfied with the claiming terms and conditions for the deal, 2) make sure you keep a copy of the deal offered and the TnC's at the time of purchase, and most importantly, 3) never get more than one mobile phone from the same retailer (agent), unless it is part of the "big 3" - Carphone Warehouse, The Link or Phones4u, in case they go bust, which one did on me! In any case I earned enough cashback from previous mobiles that I am still in a much better position than if I had just taken contracts directly from the networks so it is not the end of the world for me - just that I end up saving less money than expected from this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home