London Three... (continued on next post)
Firstly, my main point there was to make use of the return journey thanks to the first piece of misfortune I met when i touched down almost 4 weeks ago (refer to that post). So anyway I needed to visit friends, and London always has something for you. I hurried to the train station to catch the 10:17 to London St Pancras. But I arrived to find only the 10:31 and 10:35. Whatever happened to my 10:17??? It took me almost the whole journey before realising I had looked under "Sunday" instead of "Saturday". The second stupid thing I did: I failed to buy a weekend pass for the Tube, instead buying a Day Pass. Dammit! Wasted £2.20!! There I met Yih Yeong, and we had lunch at (I quote him) "quantity not quality" Mr Wu's in Bayswater. It's a chinese buffet that's exactly that. Poor range, average taste. I dish out better stuff, anytime! We took a walk across Hyde park and back, as I had to leave. Had wanted to take a look at his house.
Next was Covent Garden (I actually confused it with Camden Town the day before) where I walked the market and streets and had a look at the buskers. Met Gloria who told me she couldn't do dinner with me. Immediately, I figured out a way to ensure my dinner was not gonna be spent alone. I brought forward my breakfast appointment for Sunday. Anyway I had a very good double scoop ice-cream from Thornton's. Rum'n'raisin and some brazil nut flavour. Nice. But the rum'n'raisin was rather melty.
Hovered to Paddington where Wei Song was waiting for me. Had I taken the Bakerloo line she might have been waiting at the wrong exit and would have had to shuttle between the exits. Wasn't hungry and so we camped at her room. Decent accommodation (for London), but with too many doors in the long corridor. It was great to see her again. Had a very good conversation with her about Council, school, London blah blah blah. She and I had the same numbers of votes going into Council. Halfway through Siew Lee called using Joanne's new number intending to make fun of me. Well well. I gave the Boasters biscuits to her (u mean you haven't heard of that??*) and I left at 11.35pm after Ho Fung finally called. He'd gone to watch Les Miserables but I already had some plans. What's more there was a problem with tickets.
BY cooked me some pasta as I needed food (no dinner!! --only some non-salty soup from WS) and we all retired to sofa (well only HF and I... the rest I think shared the bed) at around 3am. Knowng full well we had to get up before 7am. They were all going to Windsor Castle, then LegoLand, which I was not interested in, and so I had to get out of the house with them. I decided to go to Euston (my favourite homely hangout in London cos Chang Yate stayed there last year) for my breakfast at Burger King's. It was just my luck that there was a problem with the fire-fighting equipment at Euston so the Tube didn't stop there (only in UK! If it was Sg or Mas they'd still open the doors). In the end I walked from King's Cross St Pancras to Euston just for my long and lonely breakfast. While there slowly munching on the mini-hash browns I messaged WS to see if she had any programmes for the morning. That was 7.35am. She replied at 9:09 "Haha.i forgot to switch on my phone! :p u stil bored?" Arrgh! By that time I had finshed off my last crumb of hash brown excrutiatingly and deliberately reluctantly, walked through to Russell Square to take the tube to Embankment, and had just exited that station. Immediately I called her and we agreed to meet at 10.30am (ahh girls!) there. I walked from there to the Federal Court (where there were lots of reporters awaiting a case... on a Sunday??), then even went past King's College London (I like to call it potassium chloride... KCL) and LSE before going back to Embankment. All in that time. And I took lots of photos of buildings etc. My fingers were so numb from the cold that I had a little bit of difficulty changing the battery of my camera. She arrived -late- and we met by the river (sounds romantic, eh??). It was very nice of her to come out and meet this bored chap destined to wander around London aimlessly with his MD player and orange Panasonic earphones.
We proceeded across a bridge and walked by the river to anywhere/nowhere. We went into any interesting gallery/building we came across, but there was simply no time. The Tate Modern was so huge that we couldn't finish looking at even a part of the exhibits as I had to meet G for lunch at Misato in Leicester Square. Finally walked across the Millennium Bridge (which I had failed to walk on my last 2 trips) and hit Blackfriars station.
Lunch was a not-too-nice chicken katsu teriyaki rice meal, though the restaurant is really highly-regarded. And I had Capilco, a yoghurt/milk concentrated drink that lots of gals luurve. I have eaten there once myself and been satisfied with the good quality of food. But not this time. G was telling me some really interesting stories of her friends... hahaha. But time was not on her side once again and we didn't have much time to chat. CY couldn't meet me for dinner so I would have to join HF and his cousin, but he "diverted" me to join the others instead. Unfortunately they were to be severly delayed and I had extra time to roam around once again. I was alone again and went to LillyWhite's, then trudged down Regent Street all the way to Oxford Circus tube station just to look for YY and his Global Luggage shop. I finally called him and realised that I had missed his shop as I had entered Virgin all the way at Piccadilly Circus.
Next was a move down southeast to Tower Hill, where the former castle (Tower of London) etc was. And I set foot on the famous Tower Bridge (not to be confused with a definitely less-illustrious London Bridge) to and fro. Then it was a walk beside the river before I sat down to watch a presentation of the history of Tower of London. Next was a walk all the way down to London Bridge tube station (I have walked a similar route on a previous trip, but with friends). And I once again stopped at Piccadilly Circus as I expected the people I was waiting for to be headed there for dinner.
>>cont'd on next post
*chocolate and hazelnut flavour. Real nuts (tho smallish). Superb taste.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home