- the 100% woodfire-roasted cheezandwich -

Friday, January 07, 2005

Drugs~

I watched Drugland on BBC2 for almost the entire 3 episodes in the feature series the past 3 nights. They did real infiltration and interviewing of drug dealers in London and Ibiza, but of course not revealing the identities of the sellers. It seems the drug problem is quite massive in the UK, and we are talking recreational drugs. People take maybe a few pills a night, and dance away. If all else is ok, fine. But when something happens, it may be already too late. You don't get such programmes back home. They will be censored by the governments (the station itself, too)! This was really informative and it carried a warning that strong language and graphic scenes were to be expected. You get to see how they take the cocaine (crack + a thousand other names), how they prepare the drugs, and even what they "cut"* the drugs with.
The next episode dealt with addictive drugs (as opposed to recreational) like heroin and also followed dealers around. The last epi was the most dangerous, as they posed as buyers to see how high they could go. Ibiza (Spain)'s drug problem was mostly brought in by the British. Liverpudlians (aka scousers) took control of the major trafficking and supply chain. And somehow the 2 journalists got found out and were advised to leave the island as soon as possible, which they did.



One fine night as I was walking along New Walk I had been sort of approached by a dodgy man who asked if I needed something (didn't hear it clearly). I knew it was drugs, and I went, "Sorry?" He repeated, "Skunk?" "No thanks." Now I know what it is. Some dried and treated branches of one of the species of the cannabis plant.

Informative, I say.

* to dope**
** ie add something else to the drugs to lower the concentration of the product and hence sell more. Usually it's caffeine tablets which are white and tasteless
P/S
Pic: Skunk Special, one of the varieties of cannabis. My research also tells me that only the female plant is worth smoking. The male plant is generally known as hemp and the fibre is used eg in paper-manufacturing etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home