- the 100% woodfire-roasted cheezandwich -

Monday, November 26, 2007

He Shakes & Spears

The Comedy of Errors started off slightly convoluted, in a forgotten tongue and nearly drowned in its own verbosity. However once one settles into its Elizabethan rhythm it starts to really pick up momentum. The wit is more displayed on the actors' faces rather than in the dialogue. Many good moments arose from the expressions and impressions carried by the supporting cast, and I am not sure if Shakespeare had all this in mind when he wrote the play.

Nevertheless it was humorous, a bit over the top, sometimes slapstick but good entertainment. I have been here 4 years and this (unfortunately) has been my first Shakespearean yet. Even my brother beat me to it when I was in London. However I have a great plan. Everytime I go to London I should aim to watch something, and in no time I would have finished watching all (rubs hands with glee)*.

It has been a long time since I connected with my English and it definitely felt good having all the "ancient" vocab coming back... Not that I knew that much, but they sure did have some obscure word forms and language!

* except Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat which I don't think is nice. They came to Cardiff very recently but I gave it a miss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home