- the 100% woodfire-roasted cheezandwich -

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

(cont'd from previous post)... My 15-hour journey back to Leicester

While I was treading on Regent Street again, Kana, on a bus with her friends visiting while on exchange in Sweden, saw me and buzzed me. Since I was waiting for my friends to arrive, I tagged along with them and ended up buying some instant tea from Whittard's for Terence's birthday and my brother whom I will expect to meet sometime in November/December.

I went off with them to Victoria Rail Station where we all sat down at a bar/cafe. So I made 3 new friends (one of them Japanese! eh, hoshi?). Haha. Then I had to leave for Pimlico to meet my friends. And I still had to wait 20 minutes for them. Pretty screwed up, but never mind. The worst was yet to be*. After having take-away KFC at Victoria Coach Station and seeing 2 of them off, BY and I proceeded to Leicester Square to look for HF and his cousin at China Inn (restaurant). And we couldn't find the place, although I had just passed by there when I decided to give HF a call. Anyway, we left late, and it took even more time at the roadside saying our goodbyes and everything. So when we walked into Leicester Square station, I already knew that we were coming up very short on time. True enough, even though we ran from one line to the other at Green Park (interchange) and then tried to run from Victoria to the Coach Station, we were late. My travelling bag was rather heavy too, and I was left out of breath. I was impressed though by HF's commitment to a lost cause. We were (expected, expected!) late by like 4, 5 minutes and slumped into the seats to catch our breath and ponder about our future.

The most funny thing was that HF had simply thrown his tube ticket onto the ground while coming out of Victoria, so he was without a train ticket. We decided to walk to Pimlico (BY's place) which was thankfully one stop away. I tried calling G, WS, ZY and J, all reaching their voiceboxes. (that's why we say 禍不单行 ) Then I got YY but he didn't have internet. In the end I called J's home phone and asked her to return my call (free minutes, anyway). So she helped me to make an online booking for a coach the next day back to Leics while I gave instructions through the phone. I have not tried taking that service before, but it was the cheapest I could find, so heck! I'd miss tomorrow's lessons anyway. She sms-ed me the ticket confirmation number, so our tickets were set. Talk about telephone booking. Thanks a lot, Joanne.

We got up pretty late on Monday, dashing my hopes of making use of our extra time in London. Another brisk walk down to Victoria ensued and I barely had time to get us sandwiches from Boot's. So we finally arrived in Leicester at 2.30pm. The original ticket was for departure at 11.30pm the night before. What a long trip back.

*For those not in the know, the motto for ACS (Anglo-Chinese School and lots of assorted family of elitist schools) is "The Best Is Yet To Be".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home