- the 100% woodfire-roasted cheezandwich -

Sunday, February 13, 2005

elections

Voting.

Last Friday, I decided to vote in the Student Union elections. This was influenced mostly by the decision to exercise my voting rights, against someone. It just happens I know someone who is running and I am not impressed. He's not the sort of person he's made himself out to be. The world has enough of fake, half-hearted people and I don't want another to have his wish fulfilled.

Politics. It is supposed to be dirty, isn't it? But I am interested in it all the same. It makes for a fertile ground to debate and banter. And I was once part of a similar process.. the days when I ran for Student Council in NJC. At least it was rather clean then (except for the rush for power when the VP stepped down). Those days were rather murky when another superficial man set his lofty sights on the top post, and it took me to bring him back down to reality. Not for me to blow my own trumpet, but I am sort of glad I was vindicated in the end (he even had the support of our college principal then).

It is also the grandest stage to pit your entire will and skills against the others in a mental, physical, intellectual and emotional battle. And to realise what the lure of power can do to some people. I am glad I did what I believed in, and came out on top. You can't always listen to others' experience. Sometimes, some things are meant to be comprehended only by doing it yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home