jumper*
Lunch was with Ho Fung and Jackie at Royal Phoenix, a sumptuous dim sum platter as our little Chinese New Year lunch. Jacks and I were discussing mostly badminton affairs though, talking about stuff this year and what's gonna happen for next year. And soon I will have to prepare my report on the financial status for presentation during the AGM.
In one of my whirlwind decisions, I bought the Yonex MusclePower 28. But not before going all over town having a look at shops like JJB, All:Sports and Sports Warehouse. In the latter, Jackie was going to purchase his football socks, shin pads and stud-tightener when I came across a nice Gola jumper. Which brings me to a little story:
I have a pair of Umbro boots here. Each shoe has, like...er.. 11 studs, but the left one now has one less. It's probably because of some rash, rough-tackling Hongkonger some time ago who came in foolishly and clumsily for a challenge. This pair was given to me by a very good friend. We aren't very much in touch now, but I can be sure if we were in the same place he'd find the time to meet up. He's now in China doing medicine. When he left Oldham Hall*** he passed his boots to me as he reckoned he'd not be playing much football. So I left my own pair of (inferior) Mikasa at home, which I used (and will use) when I went back to Singapore.
We rummaged through the pile and found the sizes and colours we wanted. Another hasty decision. He got the black one, and I took the dark grey one. The buddy-jumpers. Haha. It's my very first jumper yet!
Tried out my new racket at club night just now. It's 85 grams, lighter than my old (and broken) Carlton, and is strung with Yonex BG63 strings. I still have a pack of Yonex BG65 replacement strings that I brought with me in Sept 2004, and a replacement grip which has been with me since Sept 2003. Well if my rackets last one year on average (gulp) there won't be any need to use the replacements I brought. Here comes the problem. I have to get used to the weight and handling of the racket. Firstly, I don't get enough power across as it's a bit light. I find I have a bigger problem returning the shuttle to the back court in an overhead rally. And the smashing isn't powerful. But the racket head is fast, and I can react and place the shuttle better. I hope it'll just take some time for getting used to. I played my perennial nemesis, Roger, at singles, and promptly lost 1-15. In the second game, I trailed 2-12 before clawing back to 9-14, then 14-14, and then holding him off at 14-16, and then back again at 16-all. I nearly created history for myself coming back from so far down, but a mishit stroke against the frame dashed such hopes. He won on his second match point at 16-all, and probably his 5th or 6th match point in the game.
Having football tomorrow, barring unforeseen weather.
I received an email from Malaysian Society regarding the DVD night tonight only just now. That was like, 6 hours' notice?? They sent out the email at 1.30pm for the event which was supposed to be held at 7.30pm. Turns out it was cancelled (fittingly so) and so I didn't miss Meet the Fockers. But I did miss Fahrenheit 911 on tv the other day, and also the Uni DV Club's screening of Supersize Me.
I am in the 24-hour computer room in school (otherwise known as Charles Wilson, or CW) and wearing my new jumper, with no shirt underneath it****. It's nice and warm!!
* Also the name of a song I had wanted to post the lyrics of, some time ago
** Or maybe it went across the Pacific?
*** my old hostel
**** and still looking very decent, mind you! =p


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home