- the 100% woodfire-roasted cheezandwich -

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Dumpling

Dumpling Festival was on Saturday (the 11th). And Ho Fung got me a dumpling (ham yuk zhong--yay!!) through Sylvia which I shared with Hui. Too bad it only had one piece of fatty pork meat (fei jv yuk), one bit of salted egg yolk (ok, maybe half) and the rest was white glutinous rice. But then this is the UK (haiz). I would have appreciated one with fried glutinous rice mixed with soy sauce (for the brownish tinge), also some soya beans, chestnuts (a must!!), more fatty meat but the leaner variety, and of course not forgetting the har mai, those little dried shrimps.

I used to be able to help my mum make the dumplings. And last year I included a hilarious narration of the main story regarding how they came about and how the festival became celebrated on a large scale.

Also, last year I successfully persuaded my mum to make them with me but I ended up returning home quite late and almost everything had been done by then. So this year I shall arm myself with a notebook and pen and take down all the steps, as well as make almost all of the dumplings, including frying the rice and soaking the leaves. And then I will graduate from the kitchen and be an officially professionally competent dumpling-maker. Haaaah!
Watch this space. But only if I go back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home