- the 100% woodfire-roasted cheezandwich -

Thursday, May 19, 2005

AimHigher

Yesterday I went on a school visit to Beaumont Leys School. We spoke to Year 9 students about entering Higher Education and made them aware of the need to start looking at future options either in college or leading into university. They were to arrive in 9 groups, first attending a trailer (or van, as Hari calls it. I referred to it as "bus"!) which detailed and explained some of the initiatives in this AimHigher programme. Then they would come to us and watch the University of Leicester Summer School video to have an insight into university life adn what it entails, before breaking up into groups of up to 5 for us to discuss the various aspects of university and to address whatever conerns they may have.

Secondary school ends at 3pm every day, and we were running late. The last group arrived after 2.50pm, and we got them settled down before Hari made a short briefing and started the video (for the 7th time). I commented to Milano about a desk job being repetitive and mundane but this is starting to feel like a desk job! =P

At 3pm the bell rang promptly, and in a cacophony of feet-and-bag-shuffling, student-chatting and chair-pushing, the students departed the room in less then a minute. Milano and I looked at each other, our mouths barely shutting. "Is it like this in France too?" I asked her. British students don't give a damn about courtesy! They didn't even stay until the video finished, or at least until the person-in-charge dismissed them. I must say that it is pretty disappointing to be treated like this, but then Hari must have been used to this reception. What a heck-care attitude! pui fuk pui fuk... No wonder Tony Blair can ignore what everyone says.... he learnt it in secondary school..

today's chewren ahh, all boh tua boh suey one....

4 Comments:

  • what boh tua boh suey? cantonese?
    and chewren???

    By Blogger Joe Gillis, at 1:06 pm  

  • Haaa! Never known that you have your own diary as well until I got a link from Aaron's space. Another place which I should keep visiting, apart from Ho-Fung's one.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:42 pm  

  • today's chewren ahh, all boh tua boh suey one....

    “今天的小孩啊,真是没大没小。。。”

    By Blogger cheez~, at 6:26 pm  

  • my local way of speaking english... that sentence had mispronounced english mixed with hokkein...

    By Blogger cheez~, at 12:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home