- the 100% woodfire-roasted cheezandwich -

Monday, June 20, 2005

Getaways

After starting the "high life" renting cars, I've gone to Rutland Waters, Beacon Hill Country Park, ASDA, Manor Road Sports Hall, Opal Court at least 5 or 6 times within 24 hours, and Morrisons (mainly for fuel). The highlight, though, must be Skegness. It is situated on the eastern coast of UK, east of Lincoln and NE from Boston. It lies at the top of The Wash, which is an inward cut along the main coastline if you look at the GB map. There was an entire stretch of beach, soaked with water, soft and hard at the same time. We also encountered a crab burrowing out of the muddy sand. Unfortunately the girls scremed with excitement and scared the little crab back into the comfort of the sand/mud. The waters were quite polluted, as I noticed soem foam being washed up onto the beach. Not that the yellow look of the water was all that fantastic too, but perhaps it's sediments washed up as the North Sea waves come in asnd not some murky industrial effluent? And the beach, though empty, looks like it does support some life. The Uk is inceeasingly looking to be full of shit, as there were lots of curly deposits on the surface of the beach, much like earthworm excreta.

And I got the Vauxhall Corsa (1.2L) this time. They upgraded me cos there were no more Class A cars left in the garage, but this car has an irritating clutch. It's soft when you first depress it, but gets harder a quarter way down. So when you release the clutch you reach the "soft spot" and cannot accurately gauge the point when the engine can run... and end up revving the engine... vrrrrrrrooom....

Otherwise no complaints cos with the bigger car I only needed 3 trips each fr Opal to Hazel and another 3 trips fr Opal to Nixon transferring barang-barang.

Oh, and I want to say, my driving is all right now, but my co-drivers suck!! And they don't know how to appreciate the excruciating circumstances the paying driver is working under. By right I should be paying less but I decided I'll contribute as much as they to the costs, and actually I think they underpaid a little. Well back to my co-drivers. Someone has the guts to go round saying we took double the time getting to Skegness, giving an impression I cannot identify my directions. The thing is, this co-driver fell asleep watching the roads for me and I had to navigate on my own. And he should shut up cos he agreed that we should follow the road signs and see how. It turned out we were on the wrong direction on the A52. We shouldn't have got it wrong in the first place, if he read everything correctly and directed me properly past Stamford instead of going into Stamford and wasting time and energy balancing the clutch while driving through traffic in that town-with-narrow-roads. Taking my own directions on the way back, I only took 2+ hours which was about right.

Talk about pushing the "blame", but take the responsibility for your actions, dude. it ain't no easy task driving directionless people (I got all the map-reading and finding-directions-from-memory correct while in Ireland ok!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home