- the 100% woodfire-roasted cheezandwich -

Thursday, March 24, 2005

choices

I was talking about choices, wasn't I?

Well in life you can choose to take it or leave it. You can choose to choose or choose to let others choose for you. You can choose to succeed or choose to fail. You can choose to adopt a can-do attitude or to sink to an oh-no-I'm-in-deep-shit dimension. Life is full of choices. But we may not make the "right" choices at a certain juncture in time. Then again, what constitutes a "right choice"? The pressures at a certain point in time may justify the selection of a certain way to do things, but on hindsight or on observation by an external person may not seem to be the best or most feasible one. There is also this issue of regret. That's when you yourself feel you have made a great disservice to either yourself and/or your friends and/or organisation you represent by a decision you took either personally or as the head of a group/team. Generally you should not regret what you chose for yourself unless something goes horribly wrong. There is this theory of the parallel universe, governed by choice. Say you have a few paths to choose from. If you took path1, things would turn out a certain way. If you went with path2, things would come out differently too, but maybe not much differently? Or perhaps even better? Worse?

"Critical thinking" and "prioritisation" will dictate what you consider to be the best choice(s), but in many cases the difference between the best choice and the second-best choice may not be fathomable or easily extrapolated upon. So in effect when you choose you do not consider the room for regret. That is when you are in forward-moving mode, and sort of bulldoze in and do not bother to wait and consider the possible repercussions. That's because you have already given them a lot of thought before coming to this decision and that's all that is needed, until you see(envision) something major cropping up which doesn't go according to the plan.

Life is never so good as to present you eveything on a silver platter*. Sometimes you get them on a bronze platter, sometimes they drop in with a splatter**. So you have to choose when to go for something. When you want something more than the rate at which life is going to give it (which can be seen as, at best, an average). That's when you are motivated enough to move your ass bottom and start going for what you want. The choices are entirely yours to make. Whether you want to wait for things to happen. Whether you want to strive for something. How hard you want to strive for that. Don't let circumstances choose them for you! Chooe them before that happens. If not, learn from them and make the choice more quickly next time. It may not yet seem to be the best choice given the constraints one may have when it comes to decisions, but take heart that it was the best decision you came out with given the pressures. And (for goodness' sake) believe in your decisions!!!

* and then we can argue on whether it is necessarily better for everything to be delivered to you on a silver platter too
**like the bird shit which dropped on the windscreen of the car Imran rented to go to Warwick!

2 Comments:

  • Cheez,
    Well written. Haven't lost it, obviously ;P

    Here's my 0.005 cents worth of thought:

    There is never a right or wrong choice. You just have to make the best out of it. Why do I say so? Well, in the first place, what may be right to you does not necessarily imply that it's also right for others; you mentioned that somewhere. So here we see something that is subjective and subjectivity is good because we can ALWAYS turn it to our advantage. You've got to be flexible with your rules first lah... heh..

    An example I can think of- to worry or not to worry. I always choose to worry cos it gives me the sense of urgency. I am worrying about my Metaphysics essay now because it's due this Wed and I have to clear up some screw ups in my essay. If I never worry, I would not have cared about it and it won't get fixed on time. But if I choose not to worry, I would have peace of mind and maybe I'll be able to think better and get on with my essay fixing. It actually works both ways if you can find the silver-lining of both choices.

    In Metaphysics, I learnt to ask this question: DO we really have a choice? How I got there? Well, it all began with the topic of causality. We tend to subscribe to the view that everything has a cause. If everything has a cause, then do we really have a choice? For instance, you have a choice of buying one t-shirt of any colour from a shop. And so "freely" choose green. And to you, it seems that you have made a choice out of your own freewill but is that really the case? Why did you choose green? Because it's your fav. colour? Why amongst all colours green? what made you choose green as a favourite colour. And you say something like, well, it's my preferences lah. So what causes these preferences? well, it's innate in me lah. What cause puts this innateness within you? Yourself?

    If you trace back the root of what determines your choice, you will realise that you actually didn't have a choice in the very first place. It was all pre-determined. Hence, the term determinism.

    *I suck at introducing philosophy topics, Cheez. You can read up on it or if you want, I can pass yout he notes ;P

    Given determinism, it is highly questionable as to whether or not you really have a choice. YOU decide.

    Ok, ok. Tired liao. take care, Cheez.

    Love,
    Khairunie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:54 pm  

  • You seem to agree with me on most points... heh... I choose to believe in having a choice, and not leaving things till you have "no choice".... well that causative/determinism argument can be quite valid too, depending on what one believes... hmm i had better read up on metaphysics...

    By Blogger cheez~, at 11:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home