- the 100% woodfire-roasted cheezandwich -

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Quiz Night

New news.

I have made little real progress on pone of my two projects at work - project review is next Tues so I will have to make sure I spend time on that!
Next Tuesday I will also be playing a match for my club. And wearing our new sponsored club jersey!! The only potential spanner in the works is my current string on the Gosen - ironically it's their own branded Gosen Roots B505 string. I had liked the string that my Mum had strung for me when she bought the racket - Yonex BG66. Unfortunately, as they say, BG66 tends to break pretty easily and it did. I have a choice now of stringing the BG65Ti but not on this racket. I could choose to do it on the Wilson V14 which had broken strings 3 weeks ago.

Last Saturday we went to Heath Hospital Sports & Social Club for the Cardiff District Badminton League annual Quiz Night. Forming the Reardon Smith Badminton Club team were 7 individuals, of which 3 were guests (i.e. not actual playing members)! We went there not to win (as the winner had to organise next year's event), but also (obviously) not to finish last. I brought Hui along, Peter had his wife (who looked older than him- or shall I say he looks young for his age!), and there was a husband-and-wife pair whose wife went to the "Sunday Night Club" team. We named ourselves Richie's Rabble after Richard, the senior guy on our team.

Now I quite like quizzes.
This consisted of a picture round, general knowledge, sports, entertainment and music. All were given as questions to be answered on paper as a team, which were then marked by opposing teams.
The picture round was so-so, we got a fairly good score.
Even for the general section we didn't do to badly, but could have been better, if I had asserted my opinion about the first song sung in outer space, and the longest river in Britain. However I got the "first self-governed country to give women the vote" right, which was quite a boost.

Alas, the sports round killed us off. They asked topical questions, so topical you could pick up the last few days' paper and successfully answer a few questions (there were 15 per round).

What was worse were entertainment and music rounds where we lost many more points - especially in the lyrics round (but I did recognise the words of Wheatus/Teenage Dirtbag).

In the end we had a raffle where winners could choose prizes like chocolate gift set, and wines, but there were no prizes for the overall quiz winners, who turned out to be Heath Hospital. As for us, we propped up the board of ten teams. It had seemed a distinct possibility from the outset that we would not finish last, but shit happens.

I'd said before we went for that, that "if we can't win on court, we can at least win off the court". Looks like it will have to be next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home