And I must sat that Malaysia finally ended their long wait for glory in the All England championships when the young combination of Koo Kien Kiet-Tan Boon Hiong upset the better-ranked pairs and lifted the shield by beating top seeds Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng. The fact that they did not drop a single game throughout the tournament speaks volumes for their potential, and having also won the December Asian Games title after only just paired together is tremendous in itself. I hope this is a long and successful partnership in the mould of Cheah Soon Kit-Yap Kim Hock, who I regard as the best pair Malaysia has produced in my time. Unfortunately Cheah and Yap never won the highest prizes, which are the Olympics (albeit silver), All England, and the World Championships.
This was a perfect ending for a relatively poor Malaysian outing this year, and which I missed watching live. I think I will have to download the video cos it could be the best Malaysian win in a long time, knowing Malaysians. I don't even know how Hafiz Hashim managed to win the (2003?) All England singles title.
Hopefully my wrist holds for tomorrow when I am tempted to come out of my self-imposed recovery period and play again.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home