- the 100% woodfire-roasted cheezandwich -

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Thanks~

First of all, thanks to those who remembered. In all shapes and sizes.

Second, I had a good break over the easter weekend. Let me recount to you some of the background and happenings:
(1999) Marianne Chong - Aspects of Physical Geography
Chapter 7, or was it 9.. Marine Processes and Landforms or something like that (wasn't Chap 10 on Exfoliation??)
Centre pages: multiple pictures featuring the actual processes in action.
We had Durdle Door (Lulworth Cove), Old Harry's Rocks, Arthur's Seat (extinct volcano)...
So I had this idea of going to Dorset sitting idly in my head for a "couple" of years. And after 3 years in the UK I finally went to see that door. Now I know why most pictures of the arch shows the land coming from the left, because the headland is actually not perpendicular to the shoreline. The arch sort of comes up towards the (pebble) beach. I have rarely seen a pebble beach (my own lack of exposure) so it was a nice experience in itself! Destructive coastal processes are so much more fun to study than constructive ones. No wonder guys are sometimes construed as more violent (but not more vicious hehheh).

So off we went Cardiff-Lulworth-Beer-Exmouth-Teignmouth-Exeter-Plymouth-Penzance-Lands End-Penzance-Truro-Bude-Tintagel-Exford-Taunton-Cardiff.
Notable sights: Jurassic Coast (they even have a fantastic website! Damn! How come it's not included in Marianne Chong's book?! jurassiccoast.com), Exeter (no catacomb tour-boohoo! Underground passages under refurbishment- boo2hoo2; Cathedral was quite crap. I'd recommend the 1000 year-old Durham one anytime), Lands End (the "end of the world" as I call it...), Geevor Tin Mine (or as I call it, the "Geezer tin mine") where we had a rather disappointing underground tour of the main horizontal tunnel, King Arthur's Legendary castle location - Tintagel- but it's in bad ruins, though the location is still very superb.

Traffic Accident Stalls M5 Traffic - we got stuck on the first day out of cardiff just after Weston-Super-Mare (near Bristol) for 2 hours on the motorway while the air ambulance arrived and winched off the survivors(?). They'd better survive cos everyone waited a long time! We should listen to the radio more often instead of one Roger's 3 or 4 cds repeatedly (I forgot to bring my large stash of cds).

Beer Is Just a Small Fishing Town - period.

Lands End Disproves Copernicus Theory - As far as I am aware, if you head further west from here you only reach the sea. And the Atlantic. Which are pretty much the same.

Mounting St Michael - St Michael's Mount, an island assessible by walking on a man-made causeway at high tide (or £1.50 for a one-way boat ride) in Penzance where we went for primarily a meal and some sightseeing (minimal). The fun is not in reaching there, but in how we got there. When we left the tide was coming in and both Roger and Peter chickened out when Deng Hui and I took off our socks and shoes to cross the semi-submerged causeway. I was wearing my trucatable pants but I did not feel I needed to take the bottom half off. Wrong choice cos they got wet. Anyway it was an almost once-in-a-lifetime experience wading through the incoming seawater barefooted. And then we waited for their boat to come in.

'Geezer' Tin Mine - I was expecting more. And no tin was mine. Hoping Blaenavon will give me a better time.

No Sign of King Arthur - Tintagel Castle was composed of two parts - one on the coast (sea cliff) and then onto an adjoining island (or stack as I would assume!) which boasted unblocked views of the sea. A steep climb down made it very unique. Reminds me of the time with Ho Fung in Northern Ireland (but minus the rains). We could also reach the rock-strewn pebble beach below, as well as wander into a sea cave (actually arch cos it's broken through the headland). Niiiiiiiiice.

Middle of Nowhere - We went to Exmoor National Park and Peter unfortunately selected a place on the map - Exford- which was difficult to reach (winding narrow roads on varied and inclined terrain) which turned out not to be too exciting, but we did have some laughs (see next article)

Roger Fails To Reach Ice Cream - Roger hilariously failed to enjoy his tub of farm-made ice cream (authentic sheep's milk okay!) because he did not realise the clear plastic covering was in fact, a clear plastic covering. So he poked and dug and bit(!) it with his small plastic spoon (supplied in package) to no avail, at the same time complaining that the ice cream was rock-hard, and looking at mine which I was obviously enjoying.

Megabowl Crisis - We went to Megabowl in Taunton and played Time Crisis 4, and I beat Roger on the motorcycle racing arcade game (having previously tried once disastrously in London - Piccadilly Trockadero- cos I did not know how to rev the engine... Also played table hockey and at the hostel in Bude, table football.

We missed The Eden Project though...

Third, Friday the 13th brought bad luck to my friend when we were returning from work. His camper van had a massive failure in the radiator pump and we stopped on the side of the motorway with smoke coming off from the back (due to overheating). No fire; probably the engine oil was too hot. We got Leanne to tow his van all the way back on a thin-looking nylon rope (actual tow rope). What an accomplishment, except we all hope that she hasn't burned her clutch too badly in the process of pulling the heavyweight behind.

Fourth, I am planning a trip to the beach tmr and then dinner and off to the pubs/clubs as part of my bday get-together with colleagues. It's 23-34 years old with "a few outliers". Hahahah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home